Friday, October 8, 2010

No Shampoo!

We have already looked at the dangers of shampoo chemicals, and we briefly looked at a few options. I am going to share with you how to get rid of your shampoo, with only 2 (TWO!!) ingredients.




The purpose of shampoo is to strip sebum from your hair. Stripping it tells your follicles to secrete more and more. The more we strip away the natural oils, the more demand we are creating and the more oils our bodies will make. With the method I am going to share with you, you don’t need different shampoos and conditioners for different hair types. You just slightly modify the ingredients to meet your needs. Most people find that they can eventually use these ingredients only 1-2 times a week!



You may very well think I am crazy but I only use baking soda and apple cider vinegar on my hair now. Not at the same time, mind you. There is actually a lot of information on the internet about this “no ‘poo’” method, and much of it written better than this post. However, I like simple. Simply put, the baking soda is a base. It eats organic matter. The purpose of the vinegar is to condition and restore that pH balance. I will warn you that if you suddenly stop stripping your hair with shampoo, there may be a transition period from about two weeks to two months. I have not noticed an oily transition period, but I have also taken a SLOW approach. I am still frequently cleansing my hair every other day and using water on the days in between. The longer you go without cleansing, the quicker the transition period.
Photo credit



I LOVE my hair this way. No complicated, expensive beauty products. No toxic ingredients. My hair is so soft and thick. I wouldn’t say it is the silkiest it has ever been I’m also not relying on artificial ingredients for shine and gloss. I think I have spent a total on $2 on this routine in the last two months for 2 adults. Yes, Lee decided to do it on his own!! I thought this would be the last of my crazy stunts he would go along with. Even he says he could not tell any difference with his hair, and he has always been a big proponent of a moisturizing shampoo and conditioner.



Directions

1. Dissolve 1 TBS baking soda in 1 cup of water. Pour slowly over scalp in a circular direction. Massage scalp starting at crown and moving out. Let sit for 1 minute. Rinse well with warm water.

o Other options are to use just enough water to make a paste. If your scalp starts to itch, use less baking soda or more water to dissolve it.

2. Dissolve 1 TBS apple cider vinegar (my favorite is Bragg’s) in 1 cup of water. Pour over back of hair and on ends of hair. Rinse well with cooler water to help seal the cuticle.

o If your hair becomes greasy, try using less vinegar or more water. Apply it just to the very ends. Use a comb instead of a brush. Try lemon or lime juice.

o For frizzy hair, try scrunching just a little bit of coconut oil on the ends.

No comments:

Post a Comment